Friday, May 7, 2010

Soccer Ads vs. Ads with Soccer

Bigger post is going to be coming out soon about soccer videos, but I came across two ads today that really got me thinking. What does more for an athlete / team: a commercial ad made about them to promote a game OR an ad made for another product that uses them as stars?

This time 'round I'm going to try and get you guys to write something. Comments welcome. 

Or leave me hanging, that's cool, I'll just put on Green Street Hooligans

US Women's National Team Commercial is not on YouTube yet so here's the link to the video on Facebook. This ad was made to promote the team in their upcoming 2010 season.

Fit Fur Sudfrika, Birgit Prinz feuert Michael Ballack an - I have no clue what this says, but am guessing the second part is "featuring Birgit Prinz and Michael Ballack" ... when my German speaking roommate gets back, I'll see what she says. Clearly, this is NOT for the German National Team, but for a credit card...or a bank. Not sure. Again, will test my roommate on her practical knowledge of German when she gets home.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, I'll bite. I'm in advertising & marketing so I may be a bit jaded but here goes. When an athlete is in an ad for a product it's simply an endorsement. The athlete benefits by making money and the advertiser benefits from the star power of the athelete. In general, advertisers are going to pick athletes that are already fairly well known - Mia Hamm for Gatorade and some shampoo, Julie Foudy for Bud Light, Birgit Prinz for a German credit card...or bank. And I think it's notable that even Abby Wambach's Gatorade spot is shared with several other athletes. An exception would be Nike, who has in the past used the USWNT athletes that they sponsor, whether well known or not, in ads that I really like. But, those campaigns - The Greatest Team You've Never Heard Of (interesting angle in and of itself) and We Will Take on the World As a Team - focus more on the team and team performance than on selling shoes (like a traditional endorsement would). In that sense, the Nike ads are more like a spot that a soccer federation might produce to promote the team and/or games. The trouble with team produced ads is that they probably don't create too many new soccer fans as you, in general, have to have some knowledge of the team to appreciate the ad. Now, the new USWNT ad might pique some interest what with Hope Solo as the "spokesperson" - if you don't know soccer you can still appreciate the good looking face on the TV...and those arms. But I digress. I think any advertising that's being put out has the potential to bring more eyes to women's soccer and that's great. I think I just prefer the eyes be brought because of the achievements of the team or great players - not because someone is good at selling shampoo or beer. Theeee end!

Post a Comment