Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Silly Teenagers, Twitter is for Businesses! Tips to Understanding "How to Find Followers" Tips

This topic is a bit of a focus of mine, it is a huge aspect of my Senior Thesis I’m currently finishing, so this blog will be coming back to it in the future. And I apologize now for the long posts. I’ll try to keep it interesting…

I’ve been trolling the net doing research into methods and advice for expanding the numbers on my Big 3 Social Networking Sites: Twitter, Facebook and YouTube. The “numbers” are Followers for Twitter, Fans for Facebook (the show’s page) and views/subscriptions/friends for YouTube.
Let’s look at Twitter today.
I’ll be honest. I hate Twitter. As a person, as the individual Julie Logan, I don’t need the added means to connect to everyone. If I have something to say that’s less than 140 characters I will update my Facebook status or text people. Or—gasp—talk to them in person.
But here’s the thing; Twitter isn’t for teens or casual social networking that is becoming the lifeblood of the Facebook and Myspace generations. According to a NY Times article, and corroborated by my own research and use of the site, Twitter is for the older generations and has become a forum for sharing ideas in the quickest way possible, rather than the keeping-in-touch purpose that lies at the heart of most Facebook and Myspace use.
It’s a business tool.
So how does a business, like a WPS franchise, use Twitter? Specifically for this post, how can they go about using Tweets to find more fans for the team?
I recently started a conversation with the GM of Chicago Red Stars on Twitter about this, but didn’t pursue it as much as I wanted to because hey Twitter is limited to 140 characters and I’m a rather verbose person, especially when discussing things I am passionate about. Soccer AND social networking and it’s potential…oh man would that have been painful on Twitter!
It all started with a blog post by @wsoccer about a post on their Team on 3 blog and my tweet response:
@wsoccer @mmcd21 absolutely but the big problem is breaking out of the pre-existing fan base and using social media to find new fans
The GM of the Red Stars replied…
"@AreYouOnTheBall that was a big discussion in our office today--how to expand the conversation"
So to Marcia McDermott @mmcd21 and @RedstarsGM (both her Twitters…definitely worth following), and the rest of the Red Star crew here are my thoughts…
If I had to Tweet here’s how it would go:
@mmcd21 It's an interesting dilemma as most social networking sites are meant to supplement pre-existing entities.
You can see why I didn’t want to rely on simply Tweeting to convey my thoughts. That’s a vapid response if I’ve ever read one.
So to expand, the majority of the advice I’ve found online depends on a few factors.
1. You have a popular product, brand or content. Ashton Kutcher on Twitter was huge not because he’s that witty, but because of his pre-existing notoriety. Nike could, if the account was handled correctly, bloom rather quickly into a big Tweeter. Other smaller entities survive by giving tips, advice and links to an interested community. They find their niche and cater to it.
Ex. @TheEllenShow : the show’s popularity and style lends itself to a huge Twitter following. If anyone was made to randomly tweet, it was Ellen. 3,707,868 Followers.
Ex. @TheSweetsTruck : A new traveling eatery that is unveiling itself in LA this month already has a solid Twitter following, using a combination of fun quotes and outside sources to grow to it’s current 855 Followers. And that’s before the “Sweets have hit the Streets.” Keep an eye out for their jump when they start rolling around LA
The thing is, you don't have to have a popular brand name already existing. It helps, for sure, but it's not necessary. The key is filling a NEED out there. Find something people NEED information about and fill that void in the best way you can figure. Check out #3 for the second part (essential, UBER essential second part) of the NEED issue.
But don't skip #2. It's pretty cool, too.
2. Use Of Twitter
Find a style and try to stick to it so your followers know what your about. Be generous, converse with your followers so they recommend you to their network. Find like-minded Tweeters and RT them or @ them and start a conversation. Their networks will become exposed to you because of that.
I find my followers jump when I start conversations about hot topics (Lambert anyone? USWNT v. Germany?) because more people are looking for information or thoughts on that at the moment and if you provide it, they’re more likely to follow you for moments like that in the future.
Check my forthcoming videos delving into these more, but to quickly name the basic Twitter facets...(courtesy of this great twanalytics site)
Influence, Generosity, Velocity, Clout, Signal
See the site for some more thorough definition and breakdowns of those ideas, as well as for some breakdown of your own stats (or others…)
3. References (part 2 of the NEED is in here...wait for it)
The best way to get more followers is to get mentioned somewhere else. It’s called the world-wide-web for a reason; all these sites are overlapping various personal networks of acquaintances and friends so that you can find like-minded people. Networking.
Seems pretty simple when you think about it, but a lot of people don’t connect the dots on this fundamental of Internet social networking. And don’t feel bad if you aren’t one the innate genius’s who get that, it’s one of those things that is so common sense you have to uncover it again. I speak from experience.
Get your Twitter dropped by other bloggers, other tweeters, on Facebook (not just your own account, but your friends and fans so that it is exposed outside your network), get online articles to print it, etc.
Go big. Go outside of your normal range (geographic, interest, gender demographic etc.). Get one person you wouldn’t expect and you are potentially exposing their entire network to your ideas / product / team.
OK Part 2: Who cares if you're fulfilling a NEED if PEOPLE DON'T KNOW ABOUT IT. I will rant on this in another post (ohhh trust me, will I rant and rave as I am incredibly passionate about this in regards to the WPS especially), but focus my thoughts to something resembling concise and short. Here goes:
Advertising works not because it sells the product, but because it sells consumers awareness of the product. To a degree, a consumer doesn't care if HolyCow! brand milk is better than the generic kind, if they recognize it they are more likely to buy it. People gravitate towards what they know. Make them know your product.
The Washington Freedom are doing a good job of starting that process with their Freedom Is...campaign. Check out my previous post for more on that. I'm going to be following that campaign, so you might be reading of it again soon.
Problem is reaching the target demographics (be they current fans or new fans, soccer fans or simply sports fans). The key to that is how you advertise.
WPS teams, hit me up if you want some ideas there as I've plenty.
I realized, drafting this on Word, that I’m surpassing 3 pages (eep!) and so I’m going to cut myself off here. If you want to talk more then feel free to Tweet me or post a comment below. Like I said, I love talking about this stuff (soccer & social networking) so you can easily get me going for a while on it.
I’ll definitely be back soon to go into examples of how to find more followers and talk more about the Chicago Red Stars and what they’re doing on Twitter, because they are definitely heads above the rest of the league in their use of it. Washington Freedom is coming up close behind and FC Gold Pride has done some interesting things on Facebook, though, so the entire league is becoming a hotbed for internet social activity.
I’m beginning to wonder if the entire WPS league is one massive social networking experiment. Hmm. A thought to ponder…
Until next time…


Are You On the Ball?

0 comments:

Post a Comment